Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Genius Baby!

Okay, I realize that most parents probably think their kid is the smartest, sweetest, cutest most amazing child on the planet. Dave and I definitely fall into that category of parents. I try to temper my parental amazement and recognize that many parents feel this way, but then Fin does something like he did this morning and I am even more convinced that we are right. ;)

This morning before I left for work Fin and I were getting in some play time and he kept pointing at the row of hooks we have behind the front door. He knows the sign for "hat" but wasn't doing it - just pointing and making his "want that!" sound over and over. I finally asked him if he wanted to play with the hats (which he often does) and he did the "hat" sign and nodded.

I got the hats down - one for him, one for Baby Chewie and one for me - and he played with them for a few minutes, but still kept pointing over my shoulder at the hooks. I told him we had all the hats and still he pointed and demanded that there was something he wanted but could not communicate.

I realized he was pointing at the umbrella and told him that it wasn't safe to play with. He pointed and demanded, I gave him hats and tried to be silly and distract him. We had a couple of empty wrapping paper tubes nearby that we use as instruments and light sabers from time to time and I tried to get him to play with those instead.

Finally, realizing that mommy was not going to give in and hand him the umbrella he so desperately wanted to play with, Fin stood up, grabbed the wrapping paper tube and walked over to the umbrella. He tried to maneuver the tube under the umbrella strap and tried to push the umbrella up off the hook, all while mommy stared on in amazement!

He eventually gave up, dropped the tube and came back to jump on mommy's tummy, but WOW! This 15-month-old kid knew that he could use the cardboard tube as a tool to get the umbrella that was on a hook and out of his reach!

I swear, he amazes me every single day with all that he knows and can do.

He even put daddy's shoes on this morning and stomped around the living room for a while, giggling at how silly he was being with giant shoes on his little feet.

Smart, cute, silly, sweet - what more could a mother ask for?

No comments: