Thursday, October 9, 2008

Finny's new pants

A while back, Dave took Fin to see his first movie in a theater. It was WALL-E.

Since then, Fin has been obsessed with WALL-E and EVE. And when he's really in to something, he will pretend 24/7 to be that character. His very vivid pretend worlds started with a few weeks of being Ernie from Sesame Street just after Greta was born. He made Dave be the Count. He went through a long stage of being Caillou (and of course, Greta had to be Caillou's little sister Rosie). And lately, he's EVE.

Dave and I have discussed at length why he might want to be EVE instead of WALL-E. My guess is that it's simply because EVE can fly and WALL-E, well, WALL-E picks up trash.

Anyway, while he's pretending to be EVE, he is also becoming very aware of and adamant about gender appropriate pronouns. So, when he's EVE you can't refer to him as "he" or "him" without immediately hearing, "Eva's not a boy! Eva's a girl!" or "Not 'him'! HER!"

And of course, because we have always been direct and honest with his questions about anatomy, Fin knows very well that he has a penis and that girls have vaginas.

Last week, I had gotten him to use the potty and was trying to get him excited about his "big boy pants". I thought I might be corrected and told they were "big girl pants" instead, but what he actually came up with was even better.

"Those aren't my big boy pants. Those are my ga-ina pants! I'm putting my ga-ina on!"

Yep, he knows he doesn't have a vagina. But girls do. And since EVE is a girl robot...

He now asks for his vagina pants most days. I think PopPop Doug was concerned when Fin asked him to help put his vagina on. LOL.

Amazing what these kids come up with, isn't it?

2 comments:

Erin Tales said...

LOL. My dad and husband would FREAK OUT. Too funny!

Erin Tales said...

Visit here! Read the post! You have a blog award!

http://mybrutesquad.blogspot.com/2008/10/kreativ-blogger-award.html