All day on Saturday we told Fin that if he used the potty all day with no accidents, stopped whining, didn't yell, and got his feet out of his sister's face (among other things) he could have some lemon cake after dinner at Joe's BBQ. He did a pretty good job, so we got the cake when we got the food. Turns out the temptation was a bit too great for the poor kid.
Joe's is a restaurant that is great for the kiddos because they have a huge (fenced-in) yard for them to run wild while still being mostly captive. So when Fin kept getting up from his seat to walk around the table, it was no big deal and very appropriate for the setting. However, I kept an eye on him and he would inch ever-closer to the tantalizing cake. I kept returning him to his seat and telling him he had to actually eat some food before he could have the cake.
But we were there with a fairly large group, kids were running all around, there were balloon animals being made and popped, and I looked up just as Fin was digging both hands into the cake and lifting it off the plate. Before I knew it, guess what came out of my mouth.
"Finian Xavier, put down that cake and eat some dinner! Two bites of corn is not dinner!"
I couldn't believe how much of a mom I sounded like in that moment. Little did I know what was to come...
Fin eventually sat down, ate some dinner, enjoyed a few bites of cake and then ate some more dinner - then it was time to play! He happily ran around with his friends and played in the dirt. Dave decided to take Fin's balloon monkey out to the car so it didn't get popped and I visited with my friends while we watched the kids play.
I suddenly realized I couldn't see Fin and peered around the yard looking for him. I could not believe the sight that met my eyes.
Pants at his ankles, penis out, peeing in the grass mere feet from other dining families and kids running and playing.
Yep - the whole name came out in shock, then I was completely speechless and laughing. Unfortunately, I was holding Greta at the time so I didn't have a free hand to help him pull his pants back up. Dave appeared a moment later and grabbed Greta, but all the while Fin was just confused and saying, "Daddy lets me pee in the grass at home!"
Niiiice.
Obviously, we didn't take any pictures of that special moment in the night, but I did get a few good shots that evening.
Fin and his friend Will doing what boys do in the dirt.
All the mamas. L to R: Meredith, me and Greta, Claire, Robyn and Jenn. And Greta kept reaching over and groping Claire while we were trying to take this picture. LOL. Yep, my kids were all about being socially acceptable that evening. *snort*
Fin and Greta wrestling. She's little, but she can hold her own against Fin already!
A sweet moment with Daddy.
We will be having a big talk about appropriate places to use the bathroom before we go to Joe's again.

No comments:
Post a Comment