I know I already updated with the outcomes of the medical adventures with the oncologist today, but I have to make a separate entry to mention the most amazing and wonderful and unexpected part of my day.
I cried and cried and sobbed and laughed and sobbed some more today because of the love of so many of you. I have been a part of an online mommy chat group over the past 5 years. I have had the luck to meet a handful of these women in that time, but most of us have been only cyber-friends - sharing advice, lending an ear, talking about raising the kids, feeding issues, pooping issues, marriage issues, and laughing and being silly and making amazing friendships.
I knew several of them were conspiring to send me something for my healing room and I had been told it would arrive today. When a poster tube showed up, I figured they had gotten together to create a poster of support.
I unrolled a heavy stack of photos and paper and realized they sent more than one - as I slowly unrolled the first poster, I saw that from across the country, they had all taken the words from "Lean on Me" and contributed photos of themselves with the words to the song in different silly ways.
Sometime in our lives, we all have pain, we all have sorrow... and each couple of words was a photo of a different friend with a sign or a painting or a drawing or a chalkboard or a magnadoodle or with lipstick on a mirror or writing on a cheek or hand... and a huge grin or kiss or silly face to make me feel better. I was sobbing before I read the first line of the song.
I was overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness and planning this poster required... then I realized there was another one underneath, and another, and another, and another. All told, about 60 women - most of whom I've never actually met in real life - they are my "imaginary mommy friends" - worked together to create 5 incredible posters that had me both laughing and crying so hard that if I still had boobs, they would have fallen off.
I am a Gleek, so there's a poster of everyone doing the Glee "L" on their foreheads with a giant Don't Stop Believing in the middle - and pictures of the Glee cast are interspersed in with my dear, hilarious friends.
There is a ridonkulous poster (a word they all know I hate and they use especially to make me laugh) with each of them doing duckface - I cannot stop laughing at these photos and am awed at the love that went into making them. (If you don't know what duckface is, check out antiduckface.com Really.) Because I'm also a Twilight fan (I draw the line at calling myself a Twi-hard, sorry.) they also included duckface pictures of Bella, Edward and Jacob. Again - laughing and crying at the genius here.
There is a poster of this amazing bunch of women looking in every direction Brady Bunch-style and sending me love and "healing dust" - and they even included a picture of me from my Bye Bye Bad Boobies party!
And then, for reasons I refuse to divulge or explain - the final poster is all of their kids carrying watermelons and fruit. They carried a watermelon for me. I have seen so many of these babies grow from black and white ultrasound photos into preschoolers and 1st graders. I have been able to share in their sleep patterns, eating habits, health scares and the silly, funny stories that make parenting so worthwhile.
There will never be words to describe how amazing this gift is from these women who love me so much despite the fact that most of them have never actually met me in person. I will never be able to thank my dear friend Stephanie who organized and put these projects together (while she was traveling for 2 weeks, too!) enough. I will be forever indebted to all those who created these ideas, who know me well enough to make me laugh until I cry and sometimes until I pee, and who took the time to take goofy pictures of themselves to show me how much love and support I have in this stupid, stupid battle.
I've always considered myself a fairly strong woman, but with friends like these (and this is just one group of friends! Don't forget the amazing VL friends that have been here in person throwing farewell parties for the bad girls, cooking meals, decorating my healing room, visiting me while I heal and giving me so, SO many hugs last night at the VL32 event!) I know I really can handle anything that comes my way.
Thank you all for bringing so much love into my world.
<3
-B-
Thursday, August 26, 2010
I Am SO Loved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment